Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Response to: Godon Yamamoto and the King of the Geeks

Wow. This story was very far out there, and very open ended. For my own personal liking it was a little too far out there...but I know many many friends I had in Jr. High and high school that would have enjoyed the story. I love the way it can relate to both bully and geek, and at the very end ties the two characters together, by comparing one's form of terrorism to another's. It can also relate to those with home problems such as this boy, and coping with the hate. The Animal Crackers symbolized how hate can grow into terrorism. The end was not a conclusion but open to thought and contemplation. Amazingly written. This would definitely be a fun story I would offer maybe for small group book discussions, so that those kids that enjoy the wacky and far out can read it. :)

[Yang, Gene. 2004. Gordon Yamamoto and the King of the Geeks. Amazelink: San Jose.]

1 comment:

Jackie T said...

As I read your blog, I definitely see that aspect of it now! I guess I read it like a middle school student??? I don't know?