Monday, March 3, 2008

Practice, praise, and criticism makes perfect...

Why is it that ELA is the only concentration that is not going to do a lesson plan in our field study classes? Ms. Watts keeps questioning me about the lesson plan I'm supposed to do, and I keep arguing that I don't do one, but she still has yet to believe me. Although, I do believe that doing a lesson plan for our students we are working with would mean allot more than doing it for college kids I also believe by acting it out for our class we have other people in the field to do as we did in theater "critique our performance".

I'm mixed on it all...I mean I understand Thomas's standpoint at it seems like allot more work at achieving the same thing...but as the old saying goes it is easier said then done. As I have repeated time and time again, it's easy to come up with lessons in your head, but what you write and what actually happens when you enter that classroom often time vary...sometimes to a great extreme. You all the sudden worry about how to word what you want to say, especially when you are not used to presenting to this age group. So getting up and presenting really seems like an entire different world then just sitting around and writing out the ideas. We write lesson plans for every class, but we don't always act them out in front of an audience more than one, so in this way our new plan is beneficial.

I'm very neutral on the entire subject. I'm also very much looking forward to teaching my own text, and hearing all the different text's my fellow classmates will recommend. I was brought up on the stage so to actually practice in front of a audience of colleagues I feel is one of the best way to grow as an actor, just like I believe it will be a terrific way to grow as a teacher.

I don't know if that makes sense to anyone else...

No comments: