Monday, March 10, 2008

What a Song Can Do

First off looking at the book itself, I know if I had been handed this book as a young adolescent the pages filled with tiny fonts would have made my stomach churn. Another long one. Nothing really would have appealed me seeing I was not in band nor was I ever interested in music, but I know it would have appealed to a great majority of my class. Something great for them to relate to.

Then I read the first story. It started out okay, but then it got into talking about promiscuity and drinking in the back of the bus. I think this would be a terrific book for high school leveled readers more than jr. high.

The second I couldn't even get into. It moved slow, and I was taken back to seventh grade as I would grind my teeth through the Red Pony trying not to collapse from the boredom of it all! So I followed the rules that we had read previously and just shut the book for the night and went to sleep. Already with the mind set of, I can't teach this book in jr. high, I am having difficulty picking it back up again.

Don't get me wrong, terrific book, but just for a tad bit older crowd.

Armstrong, Jennifer, ed. What a Song Can Do. New York: Laurel-Leaf, 2004.

1 comment:

Jackie T said...

I agree with the book being more suitable for an older crowd, but I love all of the musical references. Maybe it's because I really enjoy music!