Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Just a thought...

Our classroom seems to feel very closed to discussion. It's not the people, I know they all have it in them, I've worked with most of these great and insightful people before, but I think it maybe the way we are all laid out. Maybe next time we should sit in a circle of desks? Just to test it out. And Rene should sit in our circle. It's so hard when he is at the podium to not just sit and let him speak. It almost feels rude to interrupt him. What does everyone else think of this? I mean just to try it once and see if that helps. I think we would all get allot more out of it if we could look at one another's faces when we speak, and feel we have more of an opportunity to speak. Maybe it will help Saldana too, in not feeling so obligated to speak while he stands at the podium. Any other ideas or suggestions? Anyone?

5 comments:

Jackie T said...

I like your idea a lot! I have sat in a circle as a class before in my creative writing classes, along with a few of my education courses, and I believe it really works. It will get us more engaged on the topic as a class, and it's not like we are some huge class either where you would feel intimidated. We all know who each other are (or are getting to know each other better), and I feel comfortable with the people in the class. More ideas??

René Saldaña, Jr. said...

I like it. So first thing next Monday, let's get it done. As soon as we walk in, without need for instruction from me, let's just move the desks into a circle and go from there. It'll mean that you all will have to take up the discussion slack if I shut up. But that's cool b/c I do feel very strongly that the class is yours to get out of it what all you can. If you let me, I'll do what I do, what I'm used to doing, and not ever think to do it differently b/c supposedly (since no one speaks up about it) my way's working, right? Wrong.

ashjoh said...

I loved the "circle group" on Monday. I really think we should start doing that every class day. I really liked how I could see everybody as they were talking and I felt more open about sharing my opinions.

Good idea Jessica!

René Saldaña, Jr. said...

Yeah, Jessica. Thanks for the suggestion. Even though I still monopolized the conversation, there was defintely more participation than before. And, it was easier in this shape to pass the Oreos around, though I didn't mean for you to open them really. Still, they were delicious.

Jackie T said...

I'm anxious to see how the circle group will work with our new discussion on the Sharon M. Draper book! I think it has been working great:):)