Sunday, January 13, 2008

Response to: What is your experience with poetry?

Today I am striving to become a poet, but years ago I had no idea what the big deal was with poetry. I had teachers in middle level education that blew off poetry, mocked it even. I recall my teacher having us read a five line poem, and then she stated "that is our required poetry for the year. I don't believe in all that 'deep inner-meaning' crap." That was how I was introduced to poetry, and that was my attitude until an amazing college professor my freshman year who showed us just how eye opening poetry can be! Poetry is a passion of mine now, and I feel 'jipped' for losing all those teenage years to experience it!

1 comment:

René Saldaña, Jr. said...

Jessica: first, thanks for getting this blog up and running so quickly. But I guess that's the cool thing about the format: it's fast. Second, thanks for asking about whether the content was what I was hoping for. Understand, though, that but for a few basic requirements, the blog is yours to do with as you wish, ultimately. Third, I appreciate that you are willing in class to talk about your writing as a poet. That'll be very useful to the rest of us, and to your future students.

Rene.