Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Response to: Gary Soto's poetry

This book of poetry is definitely one I will keep in my classroom, but not so much use in more than one lesson. The author himself really pulls me into his poetry as he invites me into his life, his heritage, and his family. The bond you feel when reading Gary's work is an intimate one. It is very educational on specific parts of the Hispanic culture, so will be a great way to bring in social studies into the English classroom. Gary is a master with words, and description. To paint such vivid pictures is a very hard task to achieve as a poet.

Outside of that, I personally have never learned Spanish, so although the Spanish was minimal, I was completely lost. Each poem was a struggle for me. At the same time I was having to grasp everything this poet was trying to reveal, I was having to research a foreign language as well.

Although I will not use this book much in my lesson plans, I will always have it available and strongly suggest it for the Hispanic cultured students of my classroom. I will have a copy or two available in my personal classroom library for easy access.

Soto, Gary. Canto Familiar: A Poetry Collection. Harcourt.

No comments: