Thursday, February 7, 2008

Applying what we learn into what we teach...

This is just something I wanted to share that I did today...

Yesterday we discussed in adolescent literature how we should be the role model and always have a book at hand, or be reading in break times, showing the students we enjoy reading as well. My first attempt this morning I didn't see much reaction as the students started coming in. Mrs. Watts had left to the office and I stood in the front of the classroom reading Esperanza Rising, no one seemed to notice, and on top of that I had to stop reading frequently to discipline. But second period we had time left over for silent reading after the activity, so I threw myself with the students on the pillows and bean bag and picked up Esperanza Rising. I got allot of attention, I could see people peeking over the books looking at me like I was a freak, haha! Finally a little girl comes up to me and asks, "Have you read that book before?"
"No," I started, "I really wanted to join you read though, and I have a class that I need to read this book for."
"Really?! In college?!"
"Yes," I said.
The little girl looked amazed as she whispered wow, you could tell she felt proud for having read a book that college kids read. haha!

2 comments:

Jackie T said...

That's cool how you are already practicing that instruction in the classroom you are observing! I'm sure you made that little girl feel so special! We should discuss what we are doing in each of our classrooms at Hutch with one another sometime! I would love to hear your classroom environment and get some ideas, and you can ask me anything about my class I am observing! GO RANGERS! :):)

René Saldaña, Jr. said...

Jackie, Jessica: I think we might just use up a class period or two or three just talking about your all's experiences in our classroom. We'll talk about what we have to for our Lit class, but get to your all's observations, both positive and negative experiences, ask for suggestions how to improve, etc. I'm so happy that it worked for the second class, and I guarantee, Jessica, that if you keep it up on a daily basis, this reading role modeling, that they're going to notice, if they already haven't but are keeping it to themselves. The point is that they see you doing it in front of them. You're not doing your own thing instead but working alongside them. It makes a great difference.