Sunday, February 10, 2008

Fire From the Rock (Part 1)

At first this book felt as if it were moving very slow, this is probably because I started reading this right after I finished reading The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian. The plot also seems very very similar to Alexie's book we just finished. An outsider (because of race) going into a new school. This I believe would make for a great history class read aloud maybe when you are going over civil rights. It really gives that first-hand feeling of fear and hate that is difficult to grasp in just common lecture.

This one is not one I would consider reading aloud to my English students though, I would prefer Alexie's book over it.

I can't wait to keep reading, but at the same time I hesitate, I just know that brother of hers is going to get himself killed before the end of this. And is this historical fiction? Or actually fact based on one of the first few that went to the Little Rock School?

Draper, Sharon M. (2007). Fire From the Rock. New York: Dutton Children's Books.

6 comments:

ashjoh said...

Hey Jess, I agree with everything you said in your post. I also said that it would be a perfect read aloud to a History class. But,
I was confused when you said it would be a good read aloud to a history class but then you said it is definitely not a read-aloud. What did you mean by that?

I am also worried about what happens with Gary (the brother). See you in class!

Daniel Keith said...

I agree with you Ashley, I was confused about the same thing. I think it would be a great read aloud during the time period in which civil rights is taught in class. It would give the kids a real sense of the fear those that went through this had to deal with.

JessJess said...

haha, sorry guys, typed that while running out the door, I'm only Reading/LA major, so I wouldn't read it in my own english classes out loud.

Stephanie Wolf said...

Im glad you think her brother is going to die. I have been thinking that this whole book. I wonder if all the books we read this semester will involve morbid deaths. Burning to death in a fire (part time indian) was not really my idea of enjoyment.

JessJess said...

Well sadly enough, for a protagonist to really open their eyes and learn to stand independently, a writer has to kill off his crutches. The more tragic the death, the larger the impact on the hero or heroin.

René Saldaña, Jr. said...

Stephanie: I'm trying to think of all the titles I've chosen for us this semester in light of your "death" comment: I think the worst is past. There might be deaths in the remaining stories, but not brutal and graphic like it is in Alexie. So chin up.