Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Teaching the Races...

I don't know what new ideas to post about this book. It's the same thing, just worded different over and over again. It's a love hate thing with me. I mean I grew up listening how much white people suck, and now here I am again forcing myself to read a book about it. I understand, I get it, move on, it's over, different generation. I remember at school getting penalized for being white, during these lessons, from all my black classmates. I tried to do a play with one of these classmates, and the boy informed me the only way we could do a play together is if I am the plantation owner and he is the mistreated slave. (and this was my senior year of high school) No joke. That is what I got all growing up, and that was right here in west Texas. And I wasn't treated that way only by the black kids, it was the Hispanics as well. I was automatically stereotyped as a white girl, so that meant I was smart, I was rich, I was prejudice, etc. I was none of these.

Don't get me wrong. I think it is terrific we are teaching multicultural traditions, ideas, history, etc. Good for them! (seriously) I'm excited to learn about who they are and what they do. I loved being a part of the Cinco de Mayo celebrations at school by being a part of the production my school held that day. But why does "multi culture" always exclude anything about white people? Do we even have a culture outside of hate? I don't think I learned about one good thing white people did growing up. Except for good ol' Abe back in the 1860's. White people will soon be the minority, and Hispanics the majority by 2012, isn't that correct? So why can't we have a segment on white people and the good things they did as well? The traditions they held, the different' places they came from. Why can't we teach kids not to cast out white people, or to understand that we have evolved as well?

You ask me where I come from, and I can tell you nothing good. I'm white, and I come from a line of ancestors that probably did wrong, but were they all so bad? I think that is why I love literature so much. You learn about those white people that believe in what's "right". I'm fascinated with the Beat Generation, Allen Ginsberg and Jack Kerouac to name two. It's something I'm finally passionate about because it is something I can have pride in being a part of in a distant way.

I took a trip to San Antonio in planning my wedding alone. I have always enjoyed the heroes of the Alamo, although I do not feel teachers touch on the real issue of the war. I was always taught that we were stealing land from Mexico, but in fact I learned something quite the opposite of on that trip! That instead Texas was fighting for integration, while Mexico wanted segregation. What's this? Another race wanting to have nothing to do with the whites? I loved everything Texas stood for then, and I still see it today!

I also am a big fan of John Lennon and his teachings. I look at him as a modern prophet. Much of my poetry is inspired by him and the previous two listed.

Although I learned these things about my heritage, or my culture, it was still not taught to me in a school, instead I had to learn it on my own at the age of 21 taking a week to travel across Texas alone and learn for myself.

Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm just tired of being treated as if I don't have a culture to speak of.

5 comments:

René Saldaña, Jr. said...

Good blog. Now we're getting to some real discussion. Let me ask you this: if you absolutely positively now two ways about it had to use this book in class, how would you do it to avoid being one of those teachers cramming down your students' collective throat this business about white folks beging evil?

One thing on stereotypes: it's not all about Cinco de mayo for us either, though I think we get plugged into that slot too often. I was working at a B&N in Atlanta while finishing up my PhD, and an older man approached me, saw my name tag, and said, "Rene--you French?" I said no, then he asked my last name, so I told it to him: Saldaña. He asked me what that was? I said, "American." But the dude wouldn't let it go. "No, I mean, where does the name come from?" I looked at him square in the eye and said, "Texas." Still, the man kept it up, and so did I. Finally he got it out of me by asking where my parents and ancestors were from: "Mexico," I said. "Oh, so the name's Spanish." Sure, whatever. But when I asked his last name and asked what that was, his was American.

JessJess said...

I wouldn't assign the entire book. I told Tricia in our messaging that I would possibly read excerpts of the diary that has allot of historical facts, such as the entry about MLK being on the cover of Life magazine. But this book is exactly what those teachers crammed down our throats.

René Saldaña, Jr. said...

If you had to teach it, but felt adamantly that it was that sort of one-sided discussion (like was mentioned in class) and you didn't want to perpetuate this sort of cramming/forcing on students, I could go for this reading the book in piecemeal. To complement other texts, all of which would present differing perspectives. Cool.

Anonymous said...

Not knowing the facts behind the Alamo must of really sucked!

Speaking of FACTS, everyone seems to forget that it was AFRICAN kings trading THEIR PEOPLE for goods. So, I guess what I am saying, maybe if they were more civilized they wouldn't sell their people as goods. Yet, when these BOUGHT slaves got their rights and freedom, white people got pissed. And they remained pissed for more than century through their kids. So who's fault was it?

Accessing blame is like a never ending game of tag. In your case, it was wrong to be stereotyped because you are white and live in America. But that's karma baby.

Jackie T said...

Hey Jess: to answer your question about whites being the minority (and I'm speaking for the entire United States, and not just Texas), I have heard lately on the national news that the estimated year for whites being the minority in the United States is 2050. Anyone else heard the same??